Author, Registered Nurse and Long-Time Practitioner In Meditation
Jerome Stone is a Registered Nurse with over thirty years in a variety of health-care settings, including pain management, hospice care, ICU, and research in complimentary and alternative medicine. Jerome is also a long-time practitioner of meditation, with an emphasis in the study and practice of Tibetan Buddhism and an interest in Christian and Kabbalistic Contemplation.
In addition to his Nursing degree, Jerome also holds degrees in Environmental Education and a dual-degree in Comparative Mythology and Depth Psychology. Jerome Stone lives in Boulder, Colorado with his wife, Jill Siegel-Stone, and their son Noah. Besides his love for his family and for the practice of meditation, he also loves the outdoors, nature, cycling, reading, writing, good movies and music!
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- Hospice and Palliative Nurse’s Association
- Holistic Nurses Association
Bay Area Chapter of Nurse Consultants/American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- American Pain Society
- American Society of Pain Management Nurses
- Transcultural Nursing Society
- Maine Hospice Council
Partial List of Presentations & Appearances
- Minding the Bedside, February 15, 2012. All-day class/presentation for members of the Winnipeg community and healthcare organizations. Winnipeg, Canada.
- Practicing from the Heart of the Awakened Mind, February 13, 2012. Grand Rounds, St. Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg, Canada
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in Clinical Care, April 19, 2006. Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in the Workplace. September, 2005. Standard Insurance, Portland, ME.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program, June 28, 2005. Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA.
- Practical Mindfulness Techniques for Dealing with Everyday Living; May 18, 2005. Dana Learning Center, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, May 10, 2005. Maine Medical Center’s – Integrative Care in Maine; Public Access TV, Portland, ME
- Teaching Compassionate Loving Intention to Couples Facing Cancer. January 12, 2005. Virginia Mason Medical Center, Prostate Cancer Support Group, Seattle, WA.
- Compassion in Action: Bringing the Heart into Diagnosis. January 12, 2005. Virginia Mason Medical Center, Tumor Board presentation. Seattle, WA.
- Deepening Relationships – Implementing Integrative Care. October 23, 2004 Teaching Healing to Partners. Cape Elisabeth, ME
- Compassionate Intention Training for Partners of Cancer Patients. July 20, 2004. Cancer Community Center, Portland, ME
- Prayer and Distant-Healing: What Research and Science Have to Say. Grand Rounds, June 22, 2004. Mercy Hospital, Portland, ME
- Prayer and Healing: What Research and Science Have to Say. June 14, 2004. WGAN radio, Portland, ME
- Effects of Compassionate, Loving Intention as Therapeutic Intervention by Partners of Cancer Patients. May 21, 2004. Compassionate Love Research Conference, Washington, DC.
- Integrative Medicine For Pain. May 13, 2004. Mercy Hospital, Portland, ME
- Strategies for Injection Anxiety in Multiple Sclerosis Patients. February 20, 2004. Biogen-Idec Meeting, Miami, FL.
- The Mythconception of Pain: Why We Need Mythic Images in Medicine. May, 2000. UCSF – Pain Interest Group, San Francisco, CA
- Radin, D, Stone, J, Levine, E, Eskandarnejad, S Schlitz, M, Kozak, L, Mandel, D & Hayssen G. Compassionate intention as a therapeutic intervention by partners of cancer patients. Part II: Effects of distant intention on the patients’ autonomic nervous system. Explore Magazine, 2008 July-Aug; 4(4): 235 – 243.
- Astin JA, Stone J, Abrams DI, Moore DH, Couey P, Buscemi R, Targ E. The Efficacy of Distant Healing for Human Immunodeficiency Virus–results of a randomized trial.. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006 Nov-Dec;12(6):36-41.
- Cox, D, Stone, J. Managing self-injection difficulties in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. J Neurosci Nurs. 2006 Jun;38(3):167-71
- Stuve O, Kita M, Pelletier D, Fox RJ, Stone J, Goodkin DE, Zamvil SS. Mitoxantrone as a potential therapy for primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2004 Jun;10 Suppl 1:S58-61.
- Fox, R.J., Bacchetti, P., Cohen, J.A., Goodkin, D.E., Kita, M., Pelletier, D., Stone, J. and Zamvil, S. “Measuring Disease Progression in Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.” American Academy of Neurology, 2003, presentation.
- Kita, M., Pelletier, D. Stone, J. and Zamvil, S. “A Phase II Trial of Mitoxantrone in Primary Progressive MS Patients.” Neurology, 2001, 56 (8) A149 (suppl).
- Kita, M. , Goodkin, D. and Stone, J. “A Phase II Trial of Mitoxantrone in Primary Progressive MS Patients.” Neurology, 2000, 54 (7), A22, (suppl).
- May 2009 – Managing and Reporting of Adverse Events in the Pharmaceutical Industry; Boston, MA
- Oct. 2007 - Intra-aortic Balloon Pumping, Denver, CO
- Oct. 2007 – Neuroanatomy and Assessment, Boulder, CO
- Oct. 2006 – New Hampshire HPCNA Conference, Exeter, NH
- Sept. 2005 – Maine Hospice Council Conference, Camden, ME
- May 2004 – Compassionate Love Research Conference, Washington, DC
- Jan. 2004 – Integrative Medicine for Healthcare Organizations; San Diego, CA
- Sept. 2003 – Investigating the Mind: Exchanges between Buddhism/Biobehavioral Sciences: How the Mind Works; MIT/Boston, MA
- Dec. 2001 – Research in Spirituality and Medicine; Kona, HI
- April 2001 – American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants (AALNC) Conference; Denver, CO
- Feb. 2001 – Failure to Diagnose and Mistreatment of Diseases; Honolulu, HI
- Nov. 2000 – Litigation in Pain Management; Oakland, CA
- Oct. 2000 – Healing and Spirituality in Medicine – Duke University, Winston-Salem, NC
- Sept. 2000 – Biomechanics of Injury Accidents, Walnut Creek, CA
- May 2000 – Chiropractic Care & Standards, San Leandro, CA
- April 2000 – Neural Correlates of Consciousness: Towards a Science of Consciousness ; Tucson, AZ
- Nov. 1999 – Anesthesia Practice, Application, and Documentation, Oakland, CA
- April 1999 – American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants (AALNC) Conference; Reno, NV
- July 1998 – Orientation Program, UCSF Pain Management; San Francisco, CA
- June 1998 – Workshop – Arrow pump implantation for pain management; Hershey, PA
- Oct. 1997 – Certification – Legal Nurse Consultant; Fort Worth, TX
- July 1994 – AIDS Clinical Update Conference; Seattle, WA
- Feb. 1992 – Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) Certified; Seattle, WA
- Jan. – June 1984 – Critical-Care Class, awarded Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN); Olympia, WA
- Sept. – Dec. 1982 – Critical Care/heart transplant internship; U of AZ, Tucson, AZ